Sunday, August 23, 2009

Here at last!

Hello my dear family and friends!
What a week it has been! I arrived safely in Uganda and have been working hard to get adjusted to the rhythm of life here for the past week. I love every second that I’m here and am continually overwhelmed by the joy of Christ! Many of you know that I am living in a house in Masesse, Uganda with Renee Bach volunteering with her ministry Serving His Children. Every Tuesday and Thursday, Serving His Children provides food for the children of the community, and I have had the wonderful opportunity to take part this week in what God is doing through the feeding program. SHC also provides medical relief to the community and this week there were 9 babies living in our house receiving treatment for many things ranging from malaria to scabbies to infected wounds. My room is just down the hall from the babies’ room, so I have had the excitement of little ones waking me up every morning. It is a wonderful reminder to me of my purpose in being here and that there are little eyes watching me even when I’m not expecting it! I love being with the children here, I am just in awe of how joyful and energized you can be when the Lord gives you a passion for something!
Tomorrow we will begin the bible school classes, and I am so excited to see what God has in store! I can see His hand in so many big ways around me here. Even as I type, I have a 2 year old playing in my lap, bursting with giggles. A few weeks ago, I’m told that she would not even smile or cry because she was so malnourished, but the Lord has been at work in her little life and been healing and nourishing her body, as well as providing for her future. Her name is Faith and at the beginning of the summer, her mother moved her and her sisters down to Masesse from northern Uganda where her husband was recently killed by the rebels. They have been in need of a home and the Lord has in the past few weeks provided them with the money to buy a home! God is in the business of healing and providing, and it is so exciting to have a front row seat!
Thank you all for your e-mails and prayers! It is good to know that there are so many of my loved ones on the front lines of this spiritual battle praying for me! I’ve had a lot of questions about my living situation, so here are a few details about that! Right now, there are 6 women staying and volunteering here at the SHC home. Renee’s cousin, Elly, is here to help me with the bible clubs, and will be leading the praise and worship for the kids. She has been a joy already this week and I am looking forward to working with her and watching as the Lord works through her. Rachel Fix, Pastor Adam’s sister, and her best friend Ariel are also here visiting, which has been so much fun, but they will be leaving after next week. There is also Shana, who has been serving with Renee all summer, and she will be heading back to Canada to study for the fall semester, and possibly come back for spring when I come home. I have been blessed so much by the great friendships that the Lord has already provided for encouragement and fun while I am serving here! There is also a house woman named Beatrice, who lives in the little house behind our house within our compound and cleans house and does the laundry. She is just my age and has 2 adorable little boys, James and Joseph. She has told me multiple times that she loves it here with the aunties, and is so happy to have a good job. Originally, the house had no kitchen, but Renee was able to buy some countertops, a small stove and a small refrigerator, so we now have a fully functional kitchen! Praise God!! There are 4 bathrooms, but only 2 with water heaters, and only one that works. It is a blessing to have so much room, especially during bath time for the children, because we can divide and conquer a bit!
This week we will need prayer for health as there has been a bug going through the house, and of course we are continuously surrounded by sick kids. I would also ask for prayer for the bible classes tomorrow and all this week as we step out in faith that the Lord will use us to communicate his word despite the language barrier between some of the kids. I am filled with thanksgiving that the Lord has been showing His faithfulness in giving purpose to every aspect of ministry that He has been preparing me for. My heart is full everyday and overflowing with His joy as I watch the wonderful movement of His hands in the lives of His people, and I am in anticipation of what He will continue to do! I am joyful to be able to share in these blessings and share these victories with you, my friends! Please continue to send me your e-mail messages; they are a blessing and encouragement to me even though I cannot reply to many of them! All my love, as your sister in Christ and for His glory,

Heidi

4 comments:

  1. Hi my Daisy!
    I am so excited to read your blog post! I am so glad that you are doing well and are loving it! I am praying for you constantly and wish I could be there with you to hold little ones! I am so excited for the first week of school for them, be sure to take pictures when you can. Tell Rachel I love her and am so glad she is there with you! Remember that you are stronger than you think, and God will give you strength when you are lacking it. Muah!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Heiders! It was great to read the post. I am so glad to know you are enjoying it and feeling the blessing of God's assurance. It is a wonderful feeling to know that you are in the will of the Lord. We continue to pray for you and wonder what you are doing at that moment. I am sure there is no typical day, but it might be nice to get a "Day in the Life" on a future post. Tell my sister hi for me. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Hiedi! I enjoyed reading you post so much! I only wish that i could be there as well! Please give renee a big hug for me!
    thanks!

    Eileen (: Renee's little sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers coming your way as always. Thanks to you for taking a bite out of God's work!

    ReplyDelete