Sunday, April 5, 2009

In anticipation of something beautiful

What a glorious day! Brothers and sisters, what a wonderous miracle that we celebrate this time every year! Though terribly commercialized by our culture, the Easter celebration should bring our hearts into abounding worship. That Jesus would come and die for our sins is the greatest act of love that has ever been!! But Jesus did not stay dead! He rose again, having defeated death forever! I can hardly contain my spirit as I dwell on the beauty of this forever love story; my Jesus defeated the very sin that held me captive so that I could become the woman that He created me to be, and be filled by the wonderful joy that comes from a heart full of uninhibited worship to Him alone.

Pastor Steve has been doing a sermon series on the Supremacy of Christ out of Colossians, and I have been so blessed and encouraged by it! In a world that has forgotten and forsaken the Living Word, that is Jesus Christ, it has been so refreshing to be reminded that the same sin that invaded the hearts of the Colossians is the same as the deception that runs rampant through the hearts and minds of people today, and that the same powerful Jesus still sits on His throne, and can wipe out all deception and false teaching. It can be so discouraging to live in this world at times because we can see everywhere the power that holds captive the hearts of the decieved. I know that for myself, I can fall into the habit of becoming overwhelmed by the devastation of false religions, and crippling world views. But we serve the God who defeated death!! Can he not defeat deception? He certainly can and does every day! He defeated deception in my heart, and the hearts of all believers when He opened our eyes to see Him! Christ is truly all we need!! Praise the name of Him who is Risen!!

This truth is one that the Holy Spirit has used very much to encourage my heart recently as I prepare for Uganda. When I first made the decision to go, I could not help but be worried by the alarming reports of satanic worship in this country. Knowing with my heart that He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world, I still struggled with how people so lost and decieved could come to the point of even listening to the hope of the gospel. How gently and yet strongly the Lord has reminded me of His strength in the past few weeks! He is all! Christ made those minds that seem to be too far gone, and He's rescued hearts just as deprived, and will continue to draw people to Himself with His infinate power until His return!

As we anticipate the beauty of His second coming, may our joyous celebration of His first be overflowing. Christ is all, and Christ is all we need! (Thanks Pastor Steve!) He has defeated death and continues to defeat deception in many hearts as He draws us ever closer to Himself for His forever glory, and our forever joy!
Happy Easter week everyone! :)

Heidi Jo

1 comment:

  1. Soooo...since you have not-so-subtly told me to comment, here I am commenting. :) I totally agree with you, Jesus is powerful enough to conquer anything you are going to come up against, here and in Africa. I think we limit God in our thinking, even when we say He is powerful, we don't believe it is true in our hearts. You will do amazing things in Africa! I am so excited to see what will happen and what God will do through you! I love you sister! I think you are gorgeous, inside and out!

    ReplyDelete