Monday, September 14, 2009

Worship is powerful!

As I was preparing for today’s bible lesson, I was listening to some praise music in the background. I continue to be convinced that the Lord has called me to teaching because of how much I have to learn! Everyday He teaches me new things about Himself and I’m blown away at the growth that comes when I am actively working towards growing others. In preparation for the lesson, I was reading 2 Chronicles 20. It says that a vast army was coming against Jehoshaphat, king of Judah and that after hearing this, “Jehoshaphat resolved to inquire of the LORD.” He called for fasting across all Judah and “the people of Judah came together to seek help from the LORD.” I was first of all struck by this reaction. Many different stories in scripture record the wrong reactions that we have had to different trials and troubles, but Jehoshaphat knew where real power came from and called upon the King of heaven and earth to give him wisdom and strength for the battle ahead. Once the people were assembled before the temple of the LORD, he said “O LORD, God of our fathers, are you not the God who is in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. Power and might are in your hand, and no one can withstand you.” He immediately turned to worship in the face of trouble. I was meditating on the reality of what can come from a heart that chooses that kind of reaction when a familiar song came on describing the story told in Acts 16. “In prisoner’s chains, with bleeding stripes, Paul and Silas prayed that night. And in their pain, began to sing; their chains were loosed and they were freed.” I decided to take the opportunity to re-read this familiar story. I remember hearing it in Sunday school and even teaching about it on occasion, but had never been so struck with the fact that their response to the awful situation they were in was worship! Then as a direct result of their worship, God chose to shake the foundations of the prison and break the chains of all of the prisoners. The story does not end there either, in fact the best part comes after the earthquake, because that night the Lord brought many hearts to Himself! The jailer saw the power of the God that these men worshiped and wanted to seek Him. Acts tells us that he said “’Sirs, what must I do to be saved?’ They replied, ‘Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved- you and your household.’ Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized. The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God- he and his whole family.” What a powerful reminder! Because Paul and Silas had their hearts set to worship, they were prepared for ministry even in the middle of a trial in the middle of the night! The Lord used them to show His power and might because they were worshipping Him through their struggle. How I long to be used like that! But if my eyes and heart are more fixed on the size of my trial rather than the size of my God then I will not be ready for the real battle; the battle for lost souls!
I returned to my lesson and continued to study through the rest of the 2 Chronicles 20. The Lord spoke to the people and let them know that the battle was His and that they needed only to take up their positions and stand firm and watch the deliverance that He was going to give them. King Jehoshaphat and all of Judah and Jerusalem fell on their faces and worshipped God. The next morning, they suited up in obedience. But the most exciting preparation they had for the day was the suiting of their hearts for battle. “Jehoshaphat appointed men to sing to the LORD and to praise him for the splendor of his holiness as they went out at the head of the army, saying: ‘Give thanks to the LORD, for His love endures forever!’ As they began to sing and praise, the LORD set ambushes against the men of Ammon and Moab and Mount Seir who were invading Judah, and they were defeated.” The LORD is great and His love endures forever! May that be the tune of my heart in response to every situation, and may it clothe me with readiness to watch God win every battle! He is mighty to save and faithful to do it! Worshipping Him is the only response that will fit, and He is more than worthy of it!

The lesson went well, though it rained and we had to send the kids home directly after the lesson. I know that God has big things in store if He is teaching the hearts of His little ones as much as He is teaching mine! Thank you for your continued prayers for the children who come that their hearts would be drawn to worship of our great King through knowledge of Him and His greatness, worth and power!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heids!!

    I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to comment on your blog! When I got home from Africa I could barely process all the feelings that came back. It took me 10 days home to finally break down and have a good cry about all that I love and miss and cherish and grieve about Africa. Hug those kids tight from me- tell Faith, "I love her so so much!"
    Praying for you and Ellie and Remsical as you guys are the hands and feet of Jesus in that little village.
    Holly, my sister, I hope you're reading this too...I'm sorry I haven't called you back! I got your message and then spent the next few days with some nasty stomach bug (TMI?). We'll talk soon!!
    I love you Elliot girls! My sister Holly and my sister Heidi once removed. I just came up with that title!
    Shout out to Jeremy!!
    Love,
    Auntie Rachel
    I had to sign in with my old blog since I couldn't do an anon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jo!
    I have been missing you a TON! Want to hear a funny story? Yesterday, Adam got pulled over by a cop because he didn't realized that it was a school zone. Guess who it was? Tim Gutherie! Can you believe it? First Dad, then Adam! He asked us if it ran in the family to speed! :) Pretty soon if he keeps pulling us over, he will give us all tickets!
    Rachel, that is all right! I am sorry you were sick! We will connect soon!
    Lots of love!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete